Director of Development, Western PA Humane Society - Pittsburgh, PA
The Western PA Humane Society is a non-profit organization committed to maintaining the 137-year open door policy never to turn away any homeless animal or unwanted pet. Our mission is to diligently reduce the number of surrendered animals each year, to provide the utmost care with dignity and respect for animals that are, and to place all adoptable animals into their forever homes.
We strive to provide and advocate compassionate care for and enhance the human experience of pet ownership.
Job Title: Director of Development
Accountability: Executive Director
Job Type: Salary/Exempt
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of Development (DOD) – a member of the senior management team – systematically, diligently, and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity. The DOD serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the Western PA Humane Society (WPHS). In short, the DOD is to identify areas where funding is needed, and establish and implement the appropriate infrastructure to obtain the necessary funds to support the mission of the WPHS.
The DOD will collaborate with the ED and senior managers to develop a sound development plan for the organization, to then coordinate, manage, and secure funding for the WPHS operations and initiatives. In partnership with the ED, this position is responsible for development and fundraising activities.
The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build the visibility of the WPHS and to expand its impact in the effort to increase financial resources. The DOD will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances and cultivating philanthropic support with corporations, foundations, and individuals.
In addition, the DOD will expand and diversify the WPHS donor base and will work closely with and support the Board of Directors as they take on more active fundraising roles, while promoting investment, involvement, and the mission of the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society.
- Evaluate the internal and external effects on the organization, program efficiency and effectiveness, and develop immediate and long-term strategic, operational, and fund development plans and programs to financially support the mission of the WPHS
- Develop and implement strategic plan to significantly increase funds raised through:
- Planned Giving (Endowment, Living Wills, Trusts, etc.)
- Grants & Sponsorships (Corporate, Foundation, Individual)
- Individual Giving (Cultivation Events, Membership, Direct mailing, etc.)
- Campaigns (Annual, Capital, Endowment)
- Major Gift opportunities (with naming rights, etc.)
- Work with ED and Board of Directors to identify and cultivate new and existing major donors, as well as act as universal fundraising liaison with the Board of Directors
- Research and establish relationships with corporations and foundations on behalf of the WPHS for funding and sponsorship opportunities, including writing strong proposals and diligently following through
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships of the WPHS with the corporations, foundations, and individuals from whom funds have been received and are sought
- Understand and maintain the 4 star Charity Navigator rating of WPHS
- Oversee database management, including ALL gift processing activities, tax letters, donor histories/relationships, proposals, grants, reports, etc.
- Oversee and direct gift management processes - receipt, logging, tracking, and prompt/appreciative acknowledgment of ALL gifts to WPHS, including membership, in-kind donations, event attendance etc.
- Collaborate with Marketing Department on signature and major events to secure significant sponsorships and financial support
- Research, develop, and implement new and diversified funding streams
- Explore and develop solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, motivate, and steward donors
- Provide monthly report with financials and donor ackowledgements to be included in WPHS Board meetings and quarterly newsletter
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, train, and manage volunteers as needed to support fundraising activities and events
- Investigate feasibility of government grants
- Oversee the Development Department, ensuring that staff and systems operate smoothly and within budget
- Interact with other staff members in determining funding needs and offer creative active leadership for the organization at-large
- Demonstrated success in obtaining high-valued gifts, as well as major event planning and management
- Must have a BA or BS degree from a college or university and minimum of 5 years experience in positions directly relating to non-profit Development, corporate relations, or corporate marketing
- Excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills
- Grant research and writing experience with consistent return on investment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, and other business software applications
- Proficiency in donor tracking software, and knowledge of Donor Pro preferred
- Must be able to maintain a good public image and be comfortable with public communication
- Team player mindset - “All hands on deck” when needed
- Shared office space
- Exposure to animals
Manual dexterity to operate office machinery, such as personal computer, telephone, facsimile machine, copier, and calculator, etc. Position is primarily sedentary, usually sitting for long periods of time in an office setting. Special events may require work outdoors.
RESUMES WITHOUT SALARY REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE
RESUMES SHOULD BE SENT VIA E-MAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 412-321-4664
Please mention that you heard about this opportunity from Dewey &
Kaye Jobs Watch in your cover letter when applying for this
The Dewey & Kaye division of
ParenteBeard LLC provides strategy development, planning, financial
sustainability, facilitation, training and executive search services to help
nonprofits, foundations, community collaboratives and government agencies
address strategic, operational and administrative issues.
ParenteBeard provides outstanding service, exceptional value, and clear, meaningful advice related to audit, accounting, tax and business consulting services in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and Texas. ParenteBeard is an independent member of the Baker Tilly International network of auditing, accounting, tax and business advisory firms. With 145 partners in 24 offices, ParenteBeard clients have access to the global resources of 150 member firms in 120 countries.