Early Learning Community Director, PAEYC & Homewood Children's Village - Pittsburgh, PA
Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children
Homewood Children’s Village
Job Title: Early Learning Community Director
Immediate supervisor: PAEYC Executive Director
The Pittsburgh Association for the Education of Young Children (PAEYC) works to support high quality early care and education for young children through professional development, collaboration with community resources, and advocacy for the needs and rights of children, their families, and the individuals who work with them.
The mission of the Homewood Children's Village (HCV) is to simultaneously improve the lives of Homewood's children and to reweave the fabric of the community in which they live.
General Responsibilities: This position is tasked with creating and implementing PAEYC and the Homewood Children’s Village’s early learning community project by following the program parameters outlined by PAEYC in the approved grant proposal.
Specific responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Research and analyze proven best-practice models and strategies for developing and implementing an innovative early learning network model in Homewood as well as additional local communities.
- Identify and perform community engagement and consensus building activities in order to create community, business and political support for the chosen/developed model.
- Communicate effectively and consistently with PAEYC and HCV to ensure smooth and genuine collaboration between the two organizations.
- Develop and leverage program activities (non-existing and existing) to strengthen the quality of early learning care in Homewood.
- Provide oversight for existing community outreach personnel and community organizing interns.
- Engage in strategic planning, project management and project evaluation work.
Necessary Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of Early Learning Network Project Manager’s role.
- A thorough understanding of the work of local, state and national child-serving agencies.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strengths-based approach to community building.
- Innovative model-building experience.
- Project management experience.
- Strategic planning experience.
- Project evaluation experience.
- Problem solving experience and skills.
- Knowledge of adult learning and development.
- Ability to work independently and also collaboratively.
- Ability to partner effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Extensive program management experience.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to travel in a ten county footprint.
- A bachelor’s degree in public policy, human services, community organizing, or early childhood education is desirable. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- This position is based in the Homewood neighborhood of Pittsburgh, PA with expectations of travel between the HCV offices and the PAEYC offices.
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package Offered
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Position to begin in July, 2012 or as soon as it is filled.
Please mention that you heard about this opportunity from Vantagen's Jobs Watch/Mosaic in your cover letter when applying for this