Executive Director, Focus on Renewal - McKees Rocks, PA
Focus on Renewal
Focus On Renewal
In 2009, Focus On Renewal (FOR) celebrated 40 years of service to the Sto-Rox community. Begun as a storefront poverty program, the agency has grown into a comprehensive multi-service nonprofit organization. FOR offers a community center that provides social activities, free lunch and a variety of social services five days a week; early Head Start to prepare young children to succeed in school and break the cycle of poverty; a family support program that helps parents improve their ability to raise healthy, productive children; the only library for miles around; and an arts center with an array of arts programs for people of all ages. FOR’s mission is to empower the development of the spirit, mind and body of individuals so they may live their lives in a dignified and fully human way.
As a pivotal community agency, FOR also launched the Senior High Rise, the Credit Union and the Sto-Rox Health Center. They each subsequently became financially self sustaining and were spun off as separate and independent 501©3 agencies. Together, FOR and these agencies provide a broad range of services needed in the community.
The Executive Director (ED) of FOR has overall management responsibility and authority for all aspects of the operations of FOR and for the ongoing accomplishment of its mission. The ED reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Through his/her leadership and management oversight responsibilities, ensure that all of the above described programs achieve and maintain programmatic excellence and effectiveness, including ensuring that all programs are regularly evaluated for quality and effectiveness.
- Continue to develop, coach, motivate and retain the senior departmental management team.
- Meet regularly with the management team and ensure their participation in the organizational decision making process.
- Ensure that each department has the resources needed to achieve their strategic goals.
- Maintain an organizational commitment to and accomplishment of honesty, openness and transparency in all that FOR does.
- Ensure that a participatory management process is utilized at all levels in the organization and that high levels of staff morale are maintained.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; and serve as ex-officio of each Board Committee.
- Actively engage and motivate FOR’s volunteers, board members and collaborating organizations.
- Represent FOR to all outside organizations and use this external presence and these relationships to garner new opportunities for FOR.
- Working closely with the Board Finance Committee and the Director of Finance, ensure that FOR operates at a positive cash flow in the short run and is structured in the long run to be financially sustainable.
- Continue to look for collaboration and partnering with outside organizations to improve revenue and reduce costs.
Fundraising and Revenue Generation:
- Working closely with the Director of Development and the Development Committee of the Board, ensure that the fundraising capacity of FOR continues to grow in effectiveness.
- Personally engage in the solicitation of foundation grants, corporate gifts, and major individual gifts.
- Ensure the continued growth of FOR’s existing earned revenue streams and continue to seek out new opportunities for earned revenue.
- Lead the development of a three year business plan and ensure that it is updated on a regular basis.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications within and without the organization—from web presence to external relations with relevant government agencies, funders, the Sto-Rox community and the Pittsburgh region.
- An enthusiastic commitment to and belief in FOR’s mission and its role in the Sto-Rox community of providing vital services, particularly to those in need.
- At least five years of senior management experience, with an advance degree preferred.
- A proven track record in successful organizational development and management in complex organizational settings, including working with large number of volunteers.
- A participative management style and proven ability motivate staff and volunteers.
- A proven track record in fundraising and the successful development of earned revenue/social entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Proven leadership, coaching and relationship management experience inside and outside the organization.
- Proven ability to develop and operationalize strategies that have taken an organization to the next level.
- Strong financial skills with the proven ability to develop and then manage to a budget.
- Past success working with a board of directors, with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships and assist in recruiting new members.
- Strong marketing and public relations experience, with the ability to positively engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
Please send qualifications to Executive Director Search Committee, 701 Chartiers Avenue, McKees Rocks, PA 15136 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Please mention that you heard about this opportunity from Dewey &
Kaye Jobs Watch in your cover letter when applying for this
The Dewey & Kaye division of
ParenteBeard LLC provides strategy development, planning, financial
sustainability, facilitation, training and executive search services to help
nonprofits, foundations, community collaboratives and government agencies
address strategic, operational and administrative issues.
ParenteBeard provides outstanding service, exceptional value, and clear, meaningful advice related to audit, accounting, tax and business consulting services in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and Texas. ParenteBeard is an independent member of the Baker Tilly International network of auditing, accounting, tax and business advisory firms. With 145 partners in 24 offices, ParenteBeard clients have access to the global resources of 150 member firms in 120 countries.