Program Director, After-School All-Stars Ohio - Toledo, OH
Position: Program Director
Organization: After-School All-Stars Ohio
Location: Toledo, OH (This position will train in Columbus, OH for approximately 3 months)
After-School All-Stars (ASAS) is one of the leading national after-school program providers in the country. Our comprehensive school-based programs combine academics, enrichment, and health and fitness activities to help build the knowledge and skills children need to succeed, both in school and in life. Founded as a national organization in 1992, ASAS is building a national model for after-school program delivery through our 12 chapters, all of which serve at-risk youth in major urban centers.
After-School All-Stars Columbus was founded in 2000 and now serves 6 schools and close to 500 students daily. After-School All-Stars Columbus is expanding to Toledo, with programming beginning in schools in August 2012.
To operate programming in Toledo, ASAS is currently seeking an exceptional and dynamic leader for the Toledo Program Director (PD) position. The PD will report to the Executive Director (ED) and work closely with the Assistant Director of Operations (ADO); general responsibilities include overall program management and leadership in Toledo and the development and monitoring of the city of Toledo’s programs.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Program Staff Management
- Ensure that staff are developing high quality, comprehensive after-school programming
- Hire, train, and supervise site managers
- Assist in hiring, supervising, and evaluating program staff and volunteers
- Conduct performance reviews and yearly evaluations for site managers
- Communicate and actively be involved at each school site, holding weekly site manager meetings
- Attend all required management staff meetings, collaborative partner meetings and safety trainings
- Program Operations
- Oversee school sites in the ASAS Toledo program
- Oversee a team of site managers and keep staff informed of all organization wide issues.
- Serve as a liaison between ED and/or ADO and site managers
- Serve as a liaison with school personnel and community groups to maintain positive public relations of program with community partners
- Communicate with school administrators and other school staff
- Thoroughly understand, oversee, and manage budgets of sites
- Ensure that program sites are meeting attendance requirements in accordance with school district and grant guidelines
- Ensure that student records and attendance data are maintained in an accurate manner
- Assist site managers with developing a strategy for recruiting and retaining student participants
- Manage and oversee grants and grant compliance, including but not limited to 21st Century Community Learning Center grants
- Communicate with ASAS Columbus and National Headquarters by responding promptly to memos, telephone calls and voicemails
- Travel to off-site meetings, trainings and events
- Availability to work evenings and Saturday
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Fundraising, Volunteerism and Communications
- Assist in planning and execution of fundraising activities
- Identify program opportunities for business development
- Execution of corporate volunteerism program in coordination with Development
- Identify and complete potential program and operational grants
- Document and report to Executive Director(s) and Development Team via video, photos, and individual stories about special and daily activities, and following individual stories to help with communication and fundraising
Traits and Characteristics:
The successful candidate will be a detail-oriented self-starter with strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills. The individual is expected to be a self-starter with strong management skills. Team building, relationship building, and a collaborative working style are important attributes. An Energetic and dynamic personality, a “can-do” attitude, and a passion to work with youth - highly desired.
Experience and Education:
The successful candidate will have three years or more of non-profit or related youth development program experience. The individual will have a familiarity with and passion for working with low-income youth. The individual will also be comfortable with data collection and evaluation.
- An undergraduate degree is required. Teaching experience or a Masters Degree in education, or a similar field is preferred. Bachelor’s degree in education, social or human services, child development, recreation or related field or Teacher Certification is desirable.
- Experience working in a leadership or supervisory capacity in an after school, day camp or community youth outreach setting.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with school district staff, public officials, private sector officials, parents and community leaders.
- Familiarity with quality criteria for after school programs.
- Familiarity with youth development principals and middle school aged youth
- Ability to communicate effectively and demonstrate sensitivity to others as well as respond to critical incidents and act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills
- Familiarity with basic computer software programs
- Must clear BCI&I and FBI background checks
- Familiarity and experience with Toledo’s diverse populations strongly preferred
- Some grant writing experience preferred
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three-year salary history via e-mail to:
Sienna Daniel, Co-Executive Director
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “Program Director, Toledo” and your last name in the subject heading.
Please mention that you heard about this opportunity from Dewey &
Kaye Jobs Watch in your cover letter when applying for this
The Dewey & Kaye division of
ParenteBeard LLC provides strategy development, planning, financial
sustainability, facilitation, training and executive search services to help
nonprofits, foundations, community collaboratives and government agencies
address strategic, operational and administrative issues.
ParenteBeard provides outstanding service, exceptional value, and clear, meaningful advice related to audit, accounting, tax and business consulting services in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and Texas. ParenteBeard is an independent member of the Baker Tilly International network of auditing, accounting, tax and business advisory firms. With 145 partners in 24 offices, ParenteBeard clients have access to the global resources of 150 member firms in 120 countries.